Sunday, August 29, 2010

EASY A - the review



It's been on our 'movies we're waiting for ' list for over a year now. See original post here. And finally we have seen it, a sneaky little peek.

The film is the cutest film I've seen for a while. Smart and funny! The first thing I did when I left the cinema was to check out who wrote this film. By the way it's Bert V Royal. the reason for my enquiry was because it felt like someone my age who grew up in the eighties must have written it. Bert is actually about 33 but is very connected with his eighties film vibe. So many references that sadly may be lost on the teen audience that this film is essentially targeted at. Think 'Say Anything', 'Can't Buy Me Love' and anything written by john Hughes. Bert you are a genius, the script is clever, funny and smart.

It's essentially about a pretty straight girl, who tells a little white lie about her virginity, which starts a rumour that gets crazily out of control. The story is all told to the backdrop of the novel 'The Scarlett Letter'.

Emma Stone is amazing as the sarcastic Olive, and my new girl crush! Love her! The supporting cast do a great job. Special mention to Patricia Clarkson and Stanley tucci who play olive's parents. They steal every scene they are in. Amanda Bynes in what was to be her last role before retiring, plays the goody two shoes to perfection. Cam Gigandet, as her boyfriend, doesn't get much screen time and does disappoint! One of the concerns I had prior to seeing the film, was the casting of Penn Badgley as the love interest, let me just say that Dan Humphrey does nothing for me, however, Woodchuck Todd does!!!

"I wish my life was like an eighties movie"

The one liners come thick and fast, as do the 80's movies references. This is a fun flick and i for one, will definitely be seeing it again.

2 comments:

JK said...

This is one I will be purchasing AS SOON as it comes out on DVD. Loved it loved it loved it.

Lizeylou said...

Great review Stars Hollow ladies - Will make sure I see this one!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...