Monday, September 20, 2010

CHARLIE ST CLOUD - The film



Well apparently we were actually in sydney to watch a film as well. So here's the review. Admittedly, it is hard to be unbiased after being 3 feet away from the star of the film that you are completely in love with, but I will give it my best shot.

Well firstly, Zac is definitely the star of this film, and He carries it well. He looks good, (clearly no argument from me there) and he acts well. The script is not always particularly engaging, but he certainly is. he is playing a complex character who is carrying around the guilt of his brother dying in a car accident and whom he can now see and converse with. "I see dead people'! He does have a love interest in the film, the lucky actress, Amanda Crew, does a nice job, and is pleasantly not totally hollywood and beautiful, so the relationship feels real. The lucky lady does get to share some great moments with Zac.

If you are watching this film because you are a fan of Kim Basinger, don't bother. She is onscreen, for no more than 5 minutes, so neither adds nor detracts from the film. Ray Liotta is much the same. For me, the standout co stars were the boy who played his little brother Sam, and the guy who played his mate. This English actor's name is Augustus Prew, and although his face looked kind of familiar, I could not place him. I now know him to be 'Ali' from ABOUT A BOY, the really annoying kid who was Rachel Weisz's son. He has come a long way and was great fun to watch onscreen. Special mention also goes to Dave Franco's brief role in which the gorgeous Franco smile is alive and well.




The film is flawed, and there are a few questions i would have liked to ask the storytellers. many to do with the afterlife stuff and also why did his mum leave him in his hour of need?
The setting is absolutely gorgeous, and captured superbly on film. Almost one of the character's of this film. The film is an emotional ride. You will enjoy this film if you like Zac Efron , if you like a pretty film, if you are interested in the afterlife and did I mention Zac?

My totally biased eyes loved this and I'll more than happily venture along again for another viewing. LIVE. LOVE. LET GO.

1 comment:

JK said...

I totally agree - I won't know until another viewing whether it's a good film but to be honest I don't really care as long has Zac keeps flashing those baby blues and flexing those delicious arms.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...