Wednesday, August 11, 2010

TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR BEGAN - review

Tonight, I was lucky enough to attend the premiere of TOMORROW WHEN THE WAR BEGAN. Before i go any further, I have a major confession to make, I have never actually read the books! (Sorry John! ) So for once, i didn't have that nervous anticipation about a film adaptation from a book I loved, in fact i had no expectations. This film could seriously have sucked....it's Australian, and we are known for our depressing, heavy stuff or our Croc Dundee/Castle kind of stuff and it has a cast predominantly made up of teens from Aussie soaps....however......it totally didn't suck! In fact, it was ace.

The story, as most of you John Marsden book reading folk will know, is about a group of 7 teenagers who go away to a gorgeous private campspot for a weekend together before school goes back, only to discover upon their return that their hometown, and indeed Australia, has been invaded by a neighbouring country. The kids must now not only fend for themselves, but fight the enemy and try to save their families.

This is an Aussie film that had a budget (I've heard about $20M, which is big bucks in Aust) and thus it doesn't look cheap. It looks like a blockbuster, with big explosions and great scenery. It doesn't feel 'Australian', but in a good way. The story is told from Ellie's point of view (played by Caitlin Stasey from Neighbours), but all characters seem to get equal screen time, and they are all good. In fact, I barely recognised any faces, and this is unusual for me, but it meant I had no preconceived ideas about any of the characters, so they all became who they were supposed to be in the story really quickly for me.

Stuart Beattie, wrote the screenplay and made his directorial debut on this film. He has written the screenplay for AUSTRALIA, GI JOE (yes the one starring our hot bogan) and PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, not bad for a boy born in Camberwell! he has done an amazing job.

There was much discussion both prior to, and after the film with other guests around me, fans of the book , and others like myself who had not read the book, (and others who had been taught by John Marsden - Tim Ferguson..anyone?) and all were in agreeance that the films stands up either way. I , for one, can't wait to see it again. And the ending definitely leaves things open for a sequel. So come on and pay the bucks to see this ripper Aussie film and we might just get a sequel.

IN CINEMAS FROM SEPTEMBER 2


4 comments:

JK said...

I am sooo excited about this film. It's been long enough since I read the books to not influence me and I can't wait! So jealous you got to see it without me!

Lizeylou said...

I havent read the books either - but had kinda written it off as I thought is was going to be a crap Aussie film. Sounds like I was wrong. Might just add this to my list.

Emily said...

am super excited!!

Lesley said...

I haven't read the books or even heard of it but I saw Geoff(don't know his real name) from Home and Away interviewed about it the other day and he was quite impressive. In watching the preview it looked very American but sounded Australian, quite an unusual film from the Australian Film Industry.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...