Sunday, June 14, 2009

retro sunday


This week's retro posting has to be one of Rob Lowe's films, clearly after all that saturday fantasising I did about him yesterday!!! Which one to choose??? THE OUTSIDERS is a more complex and indepth posting than I have in me tonight, so I'll save that for another Sunday! ST ELMO"S FIRE has already had a little outing in Stars Hollow recently. So maybe because I know that there is a viewing planned (lesley, we need to make a date!!!) I will go for ABOUT LAST NIGHT.

Released in August 1986, starring Rob Lowe and Demi moore (at her most gorgeousness), it tells the story of meeting someone, falling in love, breaking up, and all the bits in between. It's so real, in a very 80's kind of way, but really says it how it is (if only we could all have a one night stand with Rob!) One of the key issues that pops up is how a relationship can affect friendships! The jealousy, the not hanging out as often etc and the two best friends in this film almost steal the show, James Belushi and Elizabeth Perkins.

I remember vividly coming out of this film and thinking that when I moved in with someone we would have a 'sandwich night'! So many great lines, great looking people, great fun! It was the 80's, it was Rob Lowe, what's not to love!

[Joan reads a story at Kindergarten]
Joan: 'And the Virgin Mary descended upon... '
Kid #1: What's a virgin?
Joan: A virgin is someone who's never had sex.
Kid #2: What's sex?
Joan: Sex is something men and women do to make a baby.
Kid #3: Are you a virgin?
Joan: No.
Kid #3: Do you have a baby?
Joan: No. People who don't want babies also have sex.
Kid #3: What for?
Joan: For about 10 or 15 minutes.




2 comments:

JK said...

I think this may be in the top 5 for the birthday movie night.

Lesley said...

oh my god How good is that scene, demi's voice Robs I love you and can we please please watch it soon, but warning I will not be able to control the tears, they are already on the way from that little bit

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...