Sunday, November 29, 2009

RETRO SUNDAY




Remember the film WHITE SQUALL? I remember absolutely loving it when I first watched it. It was caned by the critics but what a ride it was. Hot young boys, adventure and tragedy! Of course Scott Wolf was the drawcard for me, but it also drew my attention to Ryan Phillipe, Balthazaar Getty (Tommy in Brothers and Sisters), Ethan Embry (Billy Ray n Sweet Home Alabama), David Lascher (Josh in Sabrina the teenage witch) etc

"White Squall" is the true story of a ship school called the "Albatross." The school is run by the captain, Christopher "Skipper" Sheldon (Jeff Bridges) and his wife, Dr. Alice Sheldon (Caroline Goodall). In 1960, the couple took aboard eight teenage boys from around the country for eight months of learning how to sail, be a crew, and respect one another. the crew goes through hard times and more laid-back times, but they must come together when a freak storm gets them in trouble in the middle of the ocean.

I'm wondering if it was a time and place movie or whether another viewing is required. Has anyone seen it recently? How did it hold up?

1 comment:

JK said...

I am embarassed to say that I have never seen it!!!
Loving the Sabrina link though. That is enough to sell it for me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...