Friday, April 23, 2010

When in Rome..think of Italy!

Sadly in When in Rome, they actually spend very little time in Italy itself, but this film got me thinking. Italy is such a beautiful place and so many films have been filmed and set in Italy, in English and italian and many other languages.

There are literally hundreds but here is a list of my top 10 fave films set in Italy. (i've probably forgotten some classics so please feel free to add suggestions)

1. A ROOM WITH A VIEW I was so in love with this film when it came out in 1985. Helena Bonham Carter before she was completely mad and the delectable Daniel Day Lewis, if you havent seen this one, you should!!!

2. THE TALENTED MR RIPLEY - 'Oh Positano, Positano' sorry just picturing Matt damon and Juse Law on stage in a seedy italian club singing this song. Gorgeous cast and gorgeous scenery. Damon at his creepiest best and Jude at his prettiest.



3. UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN - I know this one was caned by the critics but I loved it! Love me some Diane Lane! and some pretty scenery!

4. ROMAN HOLIDAY - Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn, seriously you cannot go wrong.


5. LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL - this film is so magical, please if you have not watched it, do so, but take tissues.

6. STEALING BEAUTY - One of my first introductions to Liv Tyler, and one of my fave film soundtracks

7. CINEMA PARADISO - stunning and beautiful!

8. THE ENGLISH PATIENT - I know this one was not for everyone, but i absolutely loved it. my fave italian scene from the film when Naveen Andrews is seducing Juliette Binoche and he lights a candlelit path to his bed....sigh! Kristin Scott Thomas ..sigh! Juliette Binoche...sigh!



9. IL POSTINO = A very sweet Italian film called 'the postman' , one of my favourite movie posters of all time



10. GIDGET GOES TO ROME - seriously this list would not be complete if it didn't include this classic!!!
























.Special mentions THE LIFE ACQUATIC and the Bourne movies

1 comment:

JK said...

Thank you for adding Gidget - although I will admit that this is the weakest of the Gidget movies. Cindy Carol was no Sandra Dee!
I'm with you in loving Under The Tuscan Sun - highly underrated movie with a Gilmore link which always gets my vote.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...