Monday, July 26, 2010

THE RUNAWAYS - REVIEW



BY DANCING IN BEAUMONT

The Runaways is an interesting film! I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it and I wasn't bored by it, in fact I love a rock bio, but I think the film just didn't quite give me enough. The story is based on a book penned by Cherie Currie, so the film is ultimately based on her story, but as much as I loved the portrayal of the rock and roll lifestyle, I felt like i wanted more depth about the characters and how they felt and what they went through, rather than just the obvious sex and drugs scenarios that were clearly a staple of touring bands in the 70's!

The film maker is a first time director who has come from a largely music video background, which you can tell. There are some pretty cool shots, but then you are wondering in which direction she wants to take the film. Is it an arty indie film or a mainstream rock bio? I may sound prudish saying this but the opening scene of menstrual blood drops on the pavement didn't exactly warm me to the film, so it had a bit of work from there to get me in!

Kristen Stewart is good, but i'm afraid I could still see some Bella up on the screen. She's still a bit pouty and moody, but I imagine she was fairly well guided in her characterisation of Joan Jett as she was a producer of the film. Dakota Fanning does a great job as Cherie Currie. she is actually very believable as the lead singer who has a fairly fast downward spiral. I would have liked a little bit more information about the other girls in the band, but I guess there's not time for everything. The characterisation of Kim Fowley, the group's producer/manager/creator is creepily portrayed by Michael Shannon, who from what I have read, nailed the guy! Pretty scary dude!!! (pictured below with Cherie in more current times!) Riley Keogh, Elvis's granddaughter is solid in her first real acting gig playing Cherie's sister. And who should play her mum, but Tatum O'Neal, a surprise to say the least!

If you were ever a fan of the Runaways, you should definitely see it. If you love romantic comedies, then don't see it! It's not a film for all, case in point, Cool Rider loved it, and I just liked it!



Check out Cherie's chainsaw art at the following link!

http://www.chainsawchick.com/

Sadly, Sandy, the drummer, who was actually a really likeable character in the film, died a few years ago of cancer.


The Real Runaways


Kim Fowley and Cherie Currie

2 comments:

JK said...

I did exit the theatre wanting to jump up and down to really loud music! I agree it wasn't perfect but I thoroughly enjoyed every feral moment.

Emma S said...

Thanks for the link. Had a read - looking forward to it.esp the menstrual blood....shades of Carrie?
I'm not into Twilight at all and neither are my daughters, so I reckon Kristen Stewart's performance would remain untainted for me. She was great in Zathura, and Adventureland.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...