Sunday, January 10, 2010

Retro Sunday

So as promised, a little more on Ethan Hawke today! I guess it was really DEAD POETS SOCIETY where I really sat up and took notice of little ethan. This is one of my fave films. It is Robin Williams in one of the 2 films where he is truly brilliant. (the other of course being GOOD WILL HUNTING) It is beautiful and sad and inspiring and it made me cry for about 1/2 in the cinema after it had finished. (never got asked out on a date with that boy again!!!)

Anyway, back to ethan! Does anyone remember the movie DAD with Ted Danson and Ethan hawke playing his son, well i bawled in that one also, but i guess the next movie starring Ethan that made an impact was REALITY BITES. I loved this film at the time. It was so 'cool' with Winona and Ethan and Ben Stiller and Jeneane Garafolo, it doesn't necessarily hold up for me now, and especially the character that Ethan plays, Troy. I kind of had in my mind that he was kind of this cool guy cruising around, but he was just some lowlife slacker really!


But then Ethan turned up in BEFORE SUNRISE, and i fell in love!!! Well, not just with him, but the whole concept. Having been completely sucked in by the travelling bug at the time this film came out(1995) I was so romantically involved with the concept that you could meet someone on a train and spend the night and fall in love......beautiful julie Delpy and gorgeous Ethan hawke! Oh how I loved this film!


And then, these wonderful people gave me BEFORE SUNSET. A sequel of sorts. After leaving each other 9 years ago, they have a chance meeting in Paris and spend the afternoon wondering what might have been......



They haven't dismissed a third, I guess a BEFORE DUSK or BEFORE MIDNIGHT, but if it happens, it's not going to be in the near future.

There is one other that comes to mind, GATTACA. the film where he met Uma. Don't dismiss this film as some futuristic sci-fi, this is a great film and Jude Law is at his prettiest!

So thinking back, it's not Ethan i love, but his films! Don't get me wrong, he;s cute, i've always thought so, and he just so happened to appear in a couple of ripper films!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...