Thursday, October 14, 2010
Some things you may not have known about jake....
• His early acting career mostly consisted of sitting in the background while his older sister Maggie sang and danced for dinner guests. “I did everything wrong, according to her. So I was always banished to the corner,” he said. “Les Mis, when she put that on, I was just a poor person sitting in the corner, begging for money, and she sang and danced all the songs. It’s never changed. It’s still like that to this day."
• He filmed Donnie Darko when he was having a hard time in college and didn’t know where he was going in life. (He dropped out.) After it screened at Sundance, he said, “My mother and father and sister came up to me afterwards, crying, sort of realizing that I had been trying to say something to them about how lost I was. Something about talking to that rabbit at the time comforted me.”
• He accidentally offended the entire crew of Brokeback Mountain when he showed off his first “bad acting” attempt to play Jack Twist at age 40. “We did the first take and I was doing all this bad acting, like, limping around and my back was achy and I picked up this saddle and I grunted, and half of the crew was 40. They were like, ‘We’re 40. We’re not 80! We do more work than you do, you wimp actor.” Also, looking back on his performance, he really regrets the mustache, though he thinks it helped his acting. “It was hard to eat with that mustache,” he said. “Ultimately, it’s the pain that brings great performances.”
• His dream list of collaborators: Paul Thomas Anderson, Ryan Gosling, and Michelle Williams, again. (OMG, seriously, my fave director, my fave actor and one of my fave actresses - by crikey someone needs to listen to this request....PLEASE!!!)
• He said this about Love and Other Drugs' love scenes: “There’s this weird sense of being watched. If you’ve ever made out with anybody and you know you’re being watched, you can’t help but watch yourself, and that just takes the sexiness out of the whole thing. But we’re performers, so you can make it work. Occasionally I’ve been into it. I won’t talk about with whom." And then he laughed a lot. But seriously, we need names.
* he's so obsessed with Ryan Gosling, he always mentions Ryan when he's asked who he'd like to work with. I will watch and happily pay for whatever those two do together!!!!
I think i love Jake even more now just because he loves Ryan so much!!!!