Saturday, July 11, 2009

brothers

An interesting one for me, this one. BROTHERS starring Natalie Portman, Jake Gyllenhall and Tobey Maguire all star in this Jim Sheriden directed (in the name of the father, my left foot) film. It is however based on an excellent Danish film BRODRES (brothers in danish!) It's a great film, even though it doesn't actually star my danish love Mads! So as I say, its always interesting to watch a remake of a film you love.

Brothers revolves around siblings and polar opposites Captain Sam Cahill (Tobey Maguire) and Tommy Cahill (Jake Gyllenhaal). When Sam goes missing and is presumed dead, Tommy, who is an ex-con and drifter, tries to fill the void left behind by taking responsibility for his brother’s wife Grace (Natalie Portman) and two young daughters. As Tommy tries to turn his life around, his relationship with Grace evolves; however, this unexpected development is complicated when Sam turns up alive and scarred from his experiences as a prisoner of the Taliban.

Have a look and see what you think. Releases in December (me thinks in time to be eligible for oscar nominations!)


3 comments:

JK said...

I'm sure I saw this story on late night telly recently. It was not Danish but the story was similar! Wonder what it was.

JK said...

This looks fantastic - harrowing though. Toby looks freaky scary.

Kell said...

Wow! It has left me with chills. Natalie has come a long way since The Professional. A definite must see on my list. Thanks K for putting it on my radar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...