Sunday, August 23, 2009

Retro Sunday

There are certain movies in my life that evoke such strong memories of time and place that I can almost smell and taste the J. that I was then. One of these movies was in last week's Retro Sunday - The Pirate Movie holds a very special place in my heart and in the psyche of my 15 year old self.
I thought I would go forward a few years and share a film that rocked my world in 1984. I was 16 years old and I became obsessed with VALLEY GIRL.


Valley Girl starred Nicholas Cage in his first role since dropping the Cappola from his name, and Deborah Foreman who unfortunately has not set the movie world on fire since.



Here's a run down of the plot - Julie Richman (Deborah) is a sweet-natured, if shallow, Valley Girl. After breaking up with her jerk boyfriend Tommy, she is at her friend Suzi's party ("the social event of the season") when two boys from Hollywood crash the scene. One of them, the sensitive and adventurous Randy (Nicholas), is immediately smitten with Julie, and she with him. Julie's friends, however, are not smitten with Randy purely because he is from "Holly-weird" and want Julie to dump Randy and get back together with Tommy. Julie must decide which is more important: her heart and the boy she loves, or the approval of her friends. Classic teen fare but along with a fabulous soundtrack this film nailed it. It did very well at the box office and was considered a great success.



When Deb Foreman was asked what 'Julie' was up to now she replied -"Julie won a scholarship to Harvard. Graduated with honors and received another scholarship to Boston University Medical School. Julie became a medical doctor, alas, losing her medical license to a terrible addiction to heroin. As an ex-addict, she now manages Autoworld Go Carts in West Covina, California. She has the highest score on PacMan... Go Julie!!!" Hilarious

Here is a trailer for the film which should give you a pretty good idea of what I aspired to in 1984! (Did I mention how much I wanted that shirt she wore at the party?)



By the way this film has one of the best 'New Wave' soundtracks EVER!!! 'I Melt With You' by Modern English - it just doesn't get better than that!

3 comments:

Kell said...

OMG - I love this movie. I remember going to the cinema to see it and loving Nick Cage.

What trip back to the past Jen.

Great!

Kiki said...

I love this movie. It is in my top 5 of all time. My husband and I watched it on our first date!

Lesley said...

I melt with you reminds me of a time and place, in fact the whole soundtrack does

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...