Sunday, August 30, 2009

Retro Sunday

This year really has been the year of the Vampire, with Twilight and True Blood both doing astonishing well and many others sneaking up to milk the genre. This got me thinking about the first time I fell in love with a Vampire ... his name was John and he had 24 hours to live after his vampire lover had enough of him and cast him off.

The movie was 'The Hunger' from 1983 and John was none other than David Bowie. I went through a bit of a 'Bowie The Actor' stage but I will save my other favourite Bowie film for another time. Catherine Deneuve played the Egyptian vampire and Susan Sarrandon is the doctor that falls under her spell when she tries to save John.


I think the weirdness of this flick, the goth music, the lesbianism, the darkness was so different to my usual fare that I was quite fascinated. I have no idea if it holds up today and I don't know if I should watch it in case it is ruined for me. If you have seen this movie lately please let me know if it has translated well to 2009.



2 comments:

dancing in beaumont said...

intriguing choice lady. i'm loving the variety that retro sunday is providing!!!!

of course my new fave David Bowie film is BANDSLAM!

Lesley said...

I've never heard or seen this film but now I am intrigued and it may have to go on the holiday list

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...